Monday, May 30, 2011

Lucca to Levanto Monday 30 May

We arrived by train at Levanto and within 45 minutes we'd checked in at the hotel (glass of Ligurian wine on arrival coz our room wasn't ready) and were having a sandwich and (in my case) a beer in the beachside cafe. Relaxed? Yes! This is the territory of relaxed-ville and string bikinis (never mind the body shape and worry about the melanomas later). The hotel issued us with the ferry and train timetables, so I suppose I'll have to make the effort to do the sight-seeing that one is supposed to do at Cinque Terre, but given Paul's warning about the height of some of the hiking paths, it remains to be seen whether we manage to tackle many of them. In fact, we've been told that one is closed because there have been collapses along it. On the other hand, apparently there's a bus that takes you up the steepest climb (at Corniglia). Nevertheless, there's an impressive line up of ambulances here at Levanto, and I wonder if that ought top be taken as a warning to old guys not to over-exert themselves?
There's supposed to be internet access here, but I had problems making it work.  I'm not sure if I'll be able to fluke it again, so if there's silence after this, then that's the issue!
Anyway, time now for my siesta....

No comments:

Post a Comment